Officer shot, suspect found dead in standoff

February 7, 2012 5:35:46 PM PST
A man who held police at bay for 12 hours Monday has died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to authorities.

The incident started around 11 a.m., when police received a call about a man threatening to commit suicide. When officers arrived at the scene, which was in the 9300 block of Bothwell Street, they found two vehicles belonging to 48-year-old Steven Gregory Meyer.

Listen to the 911 call here (.wav) (Call may contain strong language.)

Crisis negotiators were called in and were able to make contact with Meyer. However, despite telephone conversations with him for several hours, the negotiators were unable to make any significant progress with Meyer, since he continually refused to come out of his apartment.

Then shortly before 7:30 p.m., a tactical team attempted to enter Meyer's apartment. Police said the door had been barricaded from the inside, and Meyer fired several shots, striking 30-year-old Raleigh Police Officer A.W. Young. Officers did not fire back.

Listen to the police radio call here (.wav)

"When we knocked on the door, the individual fired several shots striking one of our officers," Raleigh Police Major J.C. Perry said. "I am told right now the officer is in stable condition."

Young was taken to WakeMed. Police said Tuesday he was "recovering well" after being shot three times. Young was hit under the arm, in the leg, and once in his bulletproof vest.

People living near Meyer's apartment at the Colonial Grand at Brier Creek Place had to be evacuated, but the complex was able to open its clubhouse for the displaced residents.

"Everybody was like wow, I can't believe something like this would happen, you know in your neighborhood," neighbor Bill Reynolds said. "You hear about these things happening, but when it's close to you, you realize anything can happen, anywhere."

Around 10 p.m., the sound of gunfire was heard again from inside the apartment, according to police.

About an hour later, officers deployed tear gas before they entered Meyer's apartment. Police said they found him inside dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

A neighbor said Meyer had lived in the apartment complex for at least two years. Court records reveal that the 48-year-old got divorced last April after 23 years of marriage.

Authorities are still investigating the incident.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook