Jamie Ward and his family did lose their home and everything in it Monday night.
The Ward's mobile home was gutted, but the family survived thanks to 11-year-old Justin Ward.
After waking his brother, Justin Ward got his mother into her wheelchair and to safety.
"I told mom, she got in the wheelchair and I pushed her down the ramp," Justin Ward said.
Seconds later, neighbors say the mobile home was engulfed.
Officials suspect an electric fence sparked the blaze.
They believe the wind blew the lines down and they shorted out, setting the grass on fire. As it spread to the mobile home, flames were also fanned towards a nearby wooded area.
Firefighters kept the fire from spreading to the woods, but they couldn't save the Ward's home.
Terri Ward says her son is a hero.
"I'm glad he acted the way he did, we might not have been able to get out of the house as fast as we did," Terri Ward.
Justin Ward says he wants to be a firefighter like his dad and says he is just a boy who loves his mom and brother.
But to 6-year-old Jamie Ward, his big brother will always be his hero.
"And I had to follow him, and if he wouldn't have woke me up and the fire broke in, I would have been dead," Jamie Ward said.
Many have called ABC11 asking how they can help the Ward family. There's an account set up for them at Wachovia Bank under the names Jeffrey and Terri Ward. The identifying number is 29251.