Groups protest Wake County Schools assignment plan

February 3, 2012 4:21:37 AM PST
Protesters gathered outside Martin Street Baptist Church in Raleigh Thursday night to speak out on the Wake County Schools assignment plan.

The North Carolina NAACP and the Great Schools in Wake Coalition continued their demands for school officials to disclose more information to parents on the plan.

Although almost 20,000 children have already been placed into new schools, opponents of the plan say it is still unclear how it will affect diversity in classrooms.

"You can't create any plan that does not take seriously diversity and equity," NC NAACP President Rev. Dr. William Barber said. "What we fight for is that is every child has an opportunity for a high quality, constitutional, well-funded, diverse education."

Members of the Great Schools in Wake Coalition called the plan confusing.

"We've getting hundreds of emails a day of parents complaining about the plan, being unhappy with it. So we're saying speaking up to the board of education," member Yevonne Brannon said.

After listening to the concerns of both groups, Superintendent Tony Tata maintains that the new plan is the right move for Wake County Schools.

"I think once we get this first round of choice under our belts we're going to have excellent data on how many people wanted to stay in feeder patterns and how many wanted to make a choice, and what choice they made," Tata said.

The school system says so far at least 19,000 children have been placed in new schools under the plan.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Load Comments