Earthquake in Japan: Assistance for U.S. citizens

Online Information
Anyone can monitor travel at and the Embassy Tokyo websites for the latest updates.

Public Inquiries
If you have concerns about a specific U.S. citizen in Japan, you can send the State Department an e-mail at or if you have concerns about a specific U.S. citizen in the Tsunami zone outside of Japan, you can send an e-mail to

If you are unable to use or access e-mail, the Department's emergency assistance center's phone number is 1-888-407-4747 (Calling from outside the U.S. + 1-202-501-4444).

Department of Defense Personnel Inquiries
The Department of Defense is asking family members of Department of Defense personnel to call 1-800-342-9647 to inquire about their loved ones or contact the individual unit command directly for more specific information.

Japanese and Other Citizens

If you are calling regarding a Japanese citizen, please contact the nearest Japanese Embassy (Washington - 202-238-6700) or consulate.

If you are looking for someone in Japan or have information about someone in Japan, please visit the Person Finder website.

If you are calling regarding a citizen of a third country, please contact that country's embassy or consulate. Contact information for foreign embassies and consulates in the United States is available at

If you would like to help those impacted by the disaster in Japan, click here to donate to the charity of your choice.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Copyright © 2023 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.