'Improperly discarded' fireworks caused Charlotte house fire that displaced 11, officials say

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Charlotte house fire that displaced 11 people was caused by "improperly discarded" fireworks, officials said.

The fire happened around 1:30 a.m. Sunday on Oakshire Circle off Valleydale Road in northwest Charlotte.

The Red Cross is assisting 11 people that were displaced.

Gunshots or fireworks: Here's how to tell the difference

The blaze caused an estimated $80,000 in damages, WSOC reported.

July 4th safety: How to prevent fireworks-related injuries, fires

Copyright © 2021 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.